Additional Protection for Retirement Home Residents and Staff in Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke

Published on March 19, 2021

Ontario Provides Additional Protection for Retirement Home Residents and Staff in Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke

 Investment will help cover costs for COVID related expenses

 

PEMBROKE — The Ontario government is investing $30 million to help the retirement home sector cover COVID-19 related costs such as hiring, training and testing additional staff, sanitizing residences and purchasing supplies to prevent and contain the spread of infection. This funding is in addition to the $30.9 million that the province provided retirement homes earlier in the pandemic. Locally, $420,000 is being invested to help keep our seniors safe.

 

“Since the onset of this pandemic, protecting the health and safety of seniors in retirement homes across Ontario has been a top priority for our government,” said John Yakabuski, MPP for Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke. “Ensuring that resources are available for retirement homes and the ability to purchase additional PPE and related products will help us flatten the curve and prevent future outbreaks in our communities.”

 

Retirement Home Name

Total payments to Home

Arnprior Villa

$ 37,463.95

Carefor Civic Complex

$ 34,480.93

Carefor Mackay Centre

$ 23,633.58

Caressant Care - Cobden

$ 24,718.31

Champlain Gardens

$ 27,158.97

Chartwell Pembroke Heritage Retirement Residence

$ 54,006.17

Chartwell Pinewood Retirement Residence

$ 28,514.89

Chartwell Quail Creek Retirement Residence

$ 40,718.16

Country Haven Retirement Home

$ 30,684.36

Island View Retirement Residence

$ 44,514.73

Riverview Heights Retirement Residence

$ 38,006.32

Supples Landing Retirement Residence

$ 37,463.95

 

Ontario has more than 770 licensed retirement homes and many are run by small operators who urgently need the government’s support to deal with rising costs related to fighting COVID-19. Ontario’s retirement homes have been working cooperatively with public health officials across the province to ensure best practices are being followed to prevent and control COVID-19 and to help get residents and staff vaccinated.

 

“Retirement home operators are working tirelessly to stop the spread of COVID-19 and keep residents and staff safe,” said Raymond Cho, Minister for Seniors and Accessibility. “Our government’s additional funding will enable retirement homes to purchase more critical supplies like PPE, products to carry out deep cleaning, or to support more on-site testing to help further prevent and contain outbreaks.”

 

Under the leadership of General (Ret’d) Rick Hillier, Ontario’s three-phase vaccination plan is making steady progress. To-date over 56,000 residents and over 23,000 workers in retirement homes have received the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and of them over 35,000 residents and 15,000 staff have received both doses.

 

“Our priority since the start of the pandemic has been clear – protecting people’s health. That means ensuring retirement home operators and staff have the resources they need to keep people safe,” said Peter Bethlenfalvy, Minister of Finance and President of the Treasury Board. “Making sure our seniors are protected and cared for is part of our plan to do whatever is necessary to defeat COVID-19.”

 

Healthy people are essential for a healthy economy. On March 24, the government will release the 2021 Ontario Budget. It will focus on protecting people’s health, with a plan to defeat COVID-19, and support for people and jobs.

 

QUICK FACTS

  • Ontario has more than 770 retirement homes with capacity to house more than 66,000 residents.

 

  • Visit Ontario’s websiteto learn more about how the province continues to protect the people of Ontario from COVID-19.

 

  • By 2023, there will be 3 million Ontarians over the age of 65 – older adults are the province’s fastest growing demographic.

 

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

 

Find Home and Community Care for Seniors

 

Guide to Programs and Services for Seniors